Thursday, August 13, 2009

Captain Dave & The Psychedelic Lounge Cats

Captain Dave & The Psychedelic Lounge Cats are definitely a staff favorite here at Nomeus Is Immune. All I can say is that it's a shame that they're not around these days. They were terrific!

I only got to see them once (at MSU, back in 1991 or so..), but I was completely drawn in. I bought a 3 song cassette at the show and played the crap out of it until I loaned it to someone a few years later and I never saw (or heard) it again. I'm not exactly sure what the title of the tape was, but it had a bizarre illustration of some kind of mutant baby and all it said on the cover was "Infant Lambert". It contained the songs "Cuando", "Morey's Head", and "Barbara Streisand You're The Vodka Of My Modern Day Restaurant". These 3 songs completely blew me away.

A few months later, my friend Kim saw them again at MSU and picked up another tape of theirs called either "A Deck Of Winklers" or just "Deck Of Winklers". This one had 12 or 13 tracks on it and it was amazing! Kim loaned me that cassette and one day it mysteriously disappeared from our house in Lansing. Hmmm...

Then there is the "Free James Brown" 45 with the B-Side "Tropical Turismo" (I think that's what it is called.. I do know that it features Milford's own Joel Westerdale on drums..) that Jeffrey Dajos found in a used record shop in East Lansing.. and he still has it!!!

Anyway, every one of these recordings is amazing, but all I have these days is a cd containing a salvaged version of "Deck Of Winklers" with 2 or 3 songs missing (as it was converted into mp3 from a rapidly deteriorating cassette copy) and mp3's of the "Free James Brown" 45.

I wish this stuff was available!!!

If anyone has any of these recordings, please contact me at eminoroswald@gmail.com
I mean, I'm not looking to make a buck off of them or anything, I am just a fan who wants to LISTEN to them again!!!

So that brings us to this little video I found the other day. It's from The Flint Underground Music Archive (check it out!) and it is of a Psychedelic Lounge Cats performance at the Arctic Lounge inside the Capitol Theatre in Flint, Michigan, December 1991!!!

Unfortunately Captain Dave was not featured on this night. I'm not sure why, but the vocals were covered by one of the percussionists and one of the guitar players (see? I don't even know their names!!). It doesn't really matter though as the band's performance is tight and the multi-angle camera work is very nicely done. There is also some chaotic interview bits (that do feature Captain Dave), and it's almost an hour of LIVE Psychedelic Lounge Cats music! It's pretty awesome.

Here it is:


Also, in unrelated news:
Shrimpanzee will be performing at the Arts, Beats, & Eats festival in downtown Pontiac this Labor Day (August 7th). They are scheduled from 6-7pm in the parking lot of the Mill Street Grille (
12 S Mill St, Pontiac, MI 48342
).

Get down there!

Thank You for reading and Noth Finesse!


2 comments:

Petros said...

The Lounge Cats moved to San Francisco, sans Capt. Dave, in 1992. Many songs were recorded in SF, but none released. That was before the days of mp3's-internet and cd burners!
There were a few different singers during the SF era, but none had the Capt. Dave magic.

The band also doubled as a back up for SF lounge crooner Mr. Lucky. Here they are with lucky in this 1996 4 song video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6pcAnhlxeU

Both bands slowly dissolved and the members scattered around the country.

Unfortunately, the video from Take no Prisoners isn't their best, the sound mix was terrible.

Petros said...

The mp3's are available!

http://psychedelicloungecats.wordpress.com